Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Real life: I've just spent the last three hours covered in frosting and melted chocolate making the best cupcakes of my entire life. And now... I'm tired.  I want pajamas. I feel like I just did dishes for days. Everything from my Blackberry to my laptop to my camera is covered in powdered sugar. Is it just me or do people only text you when you're covered in powdered sugar? Oh man, no lie? My puppy just jumped on my bed... covered in powdered sugar. This can't be real life.

Well anyway.

The point is... I was feeling brilliant so I hid the cupcakes deep in the depths of my freezer, thinking hello, genius, if I can't see them, then I won't eat them all for breakfast.

But then I realized that they're getting all fudgey and frosty and delicious asItypethis.


I.

Love.

Frozen.

Cupcakes.

Also, fact: Frozen cupcakes > regular cupcakes... > no cupcakes. Check out those math skills.

Anyway.  All I can think about now is shoving seven of them directly into my face.

So to distract myself, for the sake of my pants, I'm writing about cookies. These cookies, with their crisp, golden edges, chewy, crunchy oats, gooey centers, and ribbons of melted chocolate.

... oh yeah. This plan's working out marvelously.
I like these cookies. They're simple. They're full of chocolate chips instead of raisins, but have oats which makes them healthy. They're like cowgirl cookies, but less dolled-up. And can I tell you? They taste amazing sandwiched around a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream.

Oh yeah. Homemade ice cream. That went down in my kitchen too. No biggie.

I need a bakecation. And maybe a salad.

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Printable Recipe

1/2 cup (1 stick) + 6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets and set aside.

Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then add to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. 

Scoop dough into rounded tablespoons and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down to flatten each dough ball. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until done (these won't look done at first glance, they'll have a gooey, dough-y looking centers that sets when they're cooling, so I baked mine until they were crispy & brown around the edges. You can always poke them with a toothpick if you want to be sure). Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack and allow to cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies. 

Source: Adapted from Quaker Oats.